Thursday, May 26, 2016

Religious Rodd

Howdy, y'all,
 
First, it's time for my yearly explanation that the middle of May is exceptionally busy around our house, which is why it's been a long time since I posted.
 
Second, here is the second of our vintage song-poem ads, courtesy of "reader Pete" who sent them to me several weeks ago. I'm intrigued by this one, in that it's from a 1943 paper, and yet uses the name "Cinema", which was a prominent Song-Poem label from the early to the late 1970's (and only during that period). I wonder if there's any connection?
 
 
 
And finally, now, a little Rodd for your Thursday:
 

Here we have two religious lyrics, both sent to the good folks at Film City by frequent lyricist Clarence M. Boness, whose work I've featured here at least three times before, in what were largely lyrics written in tribute to the military. Here, he has in mind an even higher power than the U.S. Army, et al. And who better to give these songs musical life and power, but Rod Rogers (Rodd Keith), who had a background which included some Gospel singing himself.

I much prefer the side titled "Turn to Your Bible", which has a bouncy beat and is generally peppy, which its flip side decidedly is not:

Download: Rod Rogers and the Film City Orchestra and Chorus - Turn to Your Bible
Play:

While listening to the flip side, "Take Over My Life", the word that came to mind was "Turgid".

Download: Rod Rogers and the Film City Orchestra and Chorus - Take Over My Life
Play:


I'll be back on Monday with a Memorial Day-related post!

1 comment:

Stu Shea said...

I much prefer the A-side as well. Bouncy, bouncy!
Thanks for posting!